Cen at the Celtic Manor

A Masterchef experience in South Wales

I was recently working in South Wales and staying at a great hotel called the Celtic Manor.  This is a resort hotel with golf, outdoor adventure, health spa and other fun things available, including something called footgolf!


Art at the Celtic Manor hotel
Wall art in the foyer of the Celtic Manor

The selection of restaurants and cuisines at the hotel is extensive and I had a tough time deciding where to eat as they all looked so good.  One of the restaurants, called Cen, boasted inspired Asian cuisine and the menu was created by one of the 2013 Masterchef finalists, Larkin Cen. Larkin is from the area and was brought up with catering experience, as his parents ran a Chinese takeaway in Cardiff.  

This swayed my choice and I was soon sitting in the very calm, Zen-like atmosphere of the restaurant in the ground floor of the old Manor House. Subdued lighting and gentle sounds made me feel relaxed as I looked at the menu.

While I was deciding what to order the waiter brought along some sweet chilli dip and fresh, crisp prawn crackers.

I chose the Singapore noodle claypot. This is a one pot dish of egg noodles with slow cooked hoi sin glazed pork, pak choi,beansprouts, toasted sesame seeds and lime.  It was slightly spicy and extremely tasty.


Asian food at Cen restaurant at the Celtic Manor hotel
Singapore Noodle Claypot

Following this I managed to find room for a light dessert of passion fruit and mango panna cotta. This was beautifully presented with mini meringues, mango and mint salsa and a chilled mango soup served in a little glass bottle on the side.

Passion fruit and mango panna cotta
Passion fruit and mango panna cotta
If you get the chance to visit the Celtic Manor  I would recommend eating at Cen.  You will get to experience some new and authentic Asian flavours and will be very well looked after.













Comments

Popular Posts