More recipes from 'A to Z'

River Cottage Cooking 

River Cottage cookbook 'A to Z'
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's new cook book

K

There are so many recipes to try out that I have been spoilt for choice.  I started with K for kale (see previous post) but while I was reading the introduction to this ingredient the book very handily notes the pages of other recipes that include the same ingredient. This is a great idea, thanks Hugh and the River Cottage gang. This pointed me to Steamed Sea Bass with Kale and Ginger which I tried next.

Steamed sea bass with kale and ginger from 'A to Z'
Steamed Sea Bass with Kale and Ginger
It is super quick to prepare and cook, simply prepare a marinade of garlic, ginger, soy, sesame oil and chilli and marinate the sea bass for 20 minutes or so. After this the fish is steamed on top of kale or cavolo nero for about 15 minutes. I served this with some red camargue rice and it was a very simple, gently spiced and healthy supper.


C


For the next recipe to try I turned to C for Coriander to find coriander pork chops. This recipe uses a spice rub, which is massaged into the pork and then marinated for two hours. As I was cooking this after a day's work I didn't have time to leave this for two hours, in fact half an hour was all I managed, however the flavours were still good.  To cook the marinated chops all I did was brown them in a frying pan with a drop of olive oil and then pop them in a pre-heated oven  for 10 minutes,  I served these with mixed greens and yoghurt, fresh coriander and squeeze of lemon.  Lovely.  


Coriander Pork Chops recipe from 'A to Z'
Coriander Pork Chops

S

Another dish I tried was listed under S for suet : Chicken and Cider stew.  The suet in this recipe is used in rosemary dumplings but I decided to do this without the dumplings as I fancied a lighter meal.  Also, looking in my veg box, I didn't have any swede or turnips so I used butternut squash instead.  The result was very orange looking but decidedly tasty. I forgot to take a photo of this but I thought I'd add the photo below...

Staff at the River Cottage Canteen in Winchester
River Cottage Canteen, Winchester
This is how the River Cottage Canteen professionals plate up the dishes, with much more attention to detail than I do!









Comments

Popular Posts